If you're intrigued by the dream of working alongside the smartest & most revolutionary designers and engineers in the EV space, Canoo just may be the place for you. Are you a person who is irked by the status quo? Do you derive personal satisfaction from doing something you've never done before, and seeing that work actually put into production? Here at Canoo, every day is vastly different from the one before it, as we're moving swiftly toward our goal of changing the way the world looks at Urban Mobility. We’re a well-funded start-up, led by the who's who of EV business leaders, whose passion brought them together on this special mission. We're diligently preparing for our first vehicle launch and looking for deeply experienced and passionate talent, who are not just looking for a “job," but rather are driven to raise the bar and create new benchmarks within the global EV industry. Read on...
The Powertrain Housings & Structures Design Release Engineer will be responsible for mechanical component development and validation of cutting edge electric vehicle drive units. You will focus on drive unit design, analysis, issue resolution, as well as validation and testing. Make design decisions on drive unit housings, rotating components, park system, oil and lubrication system, sealing, and mounting with the intent to qualify the design for mass production. Collaborate with a talented team of design, CAE, and system engineers to create a highly integrated drive unit assembly with electric traction motor, geartrain, cooling and power electronics.
- Lead design of gearbox and e-motor housings to support clean sheet drive unit designs focused on performance, cost, system mass, efficiency, NVH, durability, and thermal
- Responsible for creation of 3D CAD and 2D drawings for gearbox, motor housings, (components and assemblies).
- Support sub system integration, creating layouts and packaging studies to generate size/mass/cost optimized designs
- Select and collaborate directly with housing component suppliers, setting requirements and quality standards
- Own and mature drive unit gearbox and motor housing designs from concept, through development, and into production.
- Correlate life testing to life predictions, refining analysis/models collaborating with CAE engineers
- Post process test results, identify root-cause of potential issues and make design recommendations to meet the highest level of durability, efficiency and performance for Canoo vehicles
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in Mechanical Engineering
- 10+ years of Automotive powertrain design and validation experience, including housing detailed design and integration with bearings and rotating components
- 3+ years in a design focused role, creating, maturing, and releasing 3D models and 2D drawings for powertrain housings and structures. High skill level with CAD packages, including surfacing workbenches (Catia preferred)
- Understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T), and experience completing stack up analyses
- Knowledge of automotive casting processes, including low- and high-pressure castings
- Knowledge of machining methods, processes, and tolerance capabilities for automotive housings
- Strong understanding of mechanical and thermal physics
- Experience of Test-Simulation correlation in the component / sub-system / models
- Strong communication skills and experience with presenting results and recommendations to multidisciplinary teams
- Master’s Degree (or higher) in Mechanical Engineering
- Experience in electric vehicle powertrains, including various traction motor and transmission architectures
- Experience preparing test articles, collaborating with testing resources to complete DVP&R activities
- Experience with CATIA V6/3D experience
- Experience with Matlab
- Experience but not limited to steel and aluminum structure
- Design and development of component and sub-system tests
- Team building and mentoring experience
What's Cool About Working Here...
- Four months paid primary care giver leave
- Flexible PTO
- Participation in the Employee Equity Compensation Plan
- Beautiful new facility in Torrance
- Casual workplace with an unbelievable feeling of energy
- Work in a high-growth start up that will redefine urban mobility
Canoo is an equal opportunity-affirmative action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, past or present military service or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Any unsolicited resumes or candidate profiles submitted in response to our job posting shall be considered the property of Canoo Inc. and its subsidiaries and are not subject to payment of referral or placement fees if any such candidate is later hired by Canoo unless you have a signed written agreement in place with us which covers the applicable job posting.