If you're intrigued by the dream of working alongside the smartest & most revolutionary designers and engineers in the EV space, Canoo just may be the place for you. Are you a person who is irked by the status quo? Do you derive personal satisfaction from doing something you've never done before, and seeing that work actually put into production? Here at Canoo, every day is vastly different from the one before it, as we're moving swiftly toward our goal of changing the way the world looks at Urban Mobility. We’re a well-funded start-up, led by the who's who of EV business leaders, whose passion brought them together on this special mission. We're diligently preparing for our first vehicle launch and looking for deeply experienced and passionate talent, who are not just looking for a “job," but rather are driven to raise the bar and create new benchmarks within the global EV industry. Read on...
As a Lead CAD Designer in the Exteriors team, you will be responsible for developing CAD for various exteriors commodities, including, but not limited to, Class A parts like Fascia, Wheel Claddings, Door Claddings, Side Sill, Cowl, Spoiler Liftgate and supporting structural parts etc. with an approach of build to print. You will lead the CAD development activities from initial concept stage to production.
- Design from initial stage of concept development to production.
- Conduct initial surface feasibility and work Studio and Design to define styling theme.
- Layout and Packaging within vehicle architecture.
- Interact with cross-functional teams to understand and work around package requirements and limitations, ergonomics, manufacturability, etc.
- Create parametric CAD models and maintain and refine them through various stages of development.
- Participate in internal and external design reviews and apply DFM, DFA knowledge to systems to prepare for tool kick off.
- Maintain and track systems weight, materials etc throughout the project.
- Design parts to meet system performance requirement while maintaining the right balance between cost vs form vs function.
- Component and system level GD&T, at a minimum 1D stack analysis.
- Develop commodities to meet all regulatory requirements.
- Work with CAE group to optimize design.
- Design commodities with an approach of build to print.
- Meet program timeline and all milestones related to it.
- Maintain and track open item list.
- Complete and release component & sub system design, utilizing a mix of in-house design and supplier engineering where required.
- Lead and train associates on CAD software and best design practices.
- Associate degree with 15+ years of experience designing automotive components.
- 10+ years of experience designing exterior trim components.
- Experience designing parts using injection molding, thermoforming, compression molding, stamping, extrusion methods.
- Experience with various material; plastics, sheet metal etc.
- Expert level skills in CATIA V5/V6
- Expertise with the latest manufacturing technologies and execution techniques to achieve systems requirements and world-class craftsmanship/performance targets.
- Strong knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including knowledge of GD&T.
- Experience of concept to production on multiple programs.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office suit.
- Experience of training or leading a group of CAD Designers.
What's Cool About Working Here...
- Four months paid primary care giver leave
- Flexible PTO
- Participation in the Employee Equity Compensation Plan
- Beautiful new facility in Torrance
- Casual workplace with an unbelievable feeling of energy
- Work in a high-growth start up that will redefine urban mobility
Canoo is an equal opportunity-affirmative action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, past or present military service or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.