Canoo has developed breakthrough electric vehicles that are reinventing the automotive landscape with bold innovations in design, pioneering technologies, and a unique business model that defies traditional ownership to put customers first. Distinguished by its experienced team – totaling over 500 employees from leading technology and automotive companies – Canoo has designed a modular electric platform purpose-built to deliver maximum vehicle interior space and adaptable to support a wide range of vehicle applications for consumers and businesses. With offices around the country, the company is scaling quickly and seeking candidates who love to challenge themselves, are motivated by autonomy and purpose, and get things done.
The Functional Safety engineer owns and delivers the functional safety and risk management deliverables and work products for all Canoo vehicles.
- Promote the safety culture in Canoo
- Managing execution and adherence to the process for all functional safety requirements definition, validation, and verification
- Contributing to the risk management strategy for all technical risks on Canoo vehicles
- Contributing to functional safety and risk management program goals
- Interfacing with potential company partners regarding Canoo functional safety strategy, compliance, and safety cases
- Collaborating with the various engineer teams to guide them through the safety engineering tasks
- Delivering safety cases for all subsystems on all Canoo vehicles
- Developing training and guidance documentation for all functional safety processes and products
- 3+ years of working in system safety, functional safety, or other safety-critical engineering positions.
- Demonstrated experience establishing processes for assessment, analysis, test, verification, and validation of safety critical systems
- Direct engineering contributions to technical systems that have been delivered to market
- Familiarity with concepts in ISO 26262
- 5+ years of working in system safety, functional safety, or other safety-critical engineering positions
- 2+ years working on ISO 26262 processes and compliance on automotive vehicles
- Demonstrated experience in negotiating roles and requirements with other teams
- Demonstrated experience managing analysis, simulation, and test processes
- Experience with one or more programming languages, particularly Matlab/Simulink
- Strong communication skills
- Fluent with all Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Project, etc)
- Experience with safety analysis software such as Medini, Sapphire, or similar software suites
- Understanding of ISO 26262 and related system safety concepts
- Familiarity with parts reliability models and databases such as Military Handbook 217F, NASA parts reliability databases, etc.
- Experience with Jira and Sharepoint preferred
- Team-building and management skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, fast-moving startup environment
What's Cool About Working Here...
- Four months paid primary care giver leave
- Flexible PTO
- Participation in the Employee Equity Compensation Plan
- Casual workplace with an unbelievable feeling of energy
- Work in a high-growth start up that will redefine urban mobility
Canoo is an equal opportunity-affirmative action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, past or present military service or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Any unsolicited resumes or candidate profiles submitted in response to our job posting shall be considered the property of Canoo Inc. and its subsidiaries and are not subject to payment of referral or placement fees if any such candidate is later hired by Canoo unless you have a signed written agreement in place with us which covers the applicable job posting.