Canoo has developed breakthrough electric vehicles that are reinventing the automotive landscape with bold innovations in design, pioneering technologies, and a unique business model that defies traditional ownership to put customers first. Distinguished by its experienced team – totaling over 500 employees from leading technology and automotive companies – Canoo has designed a modular electric platform purpose-built to deliver maximum vehicle interior space and adaptable to support a wide range of vehicle applications for consumers and businesses. With offices around the country, the company is scaling quickly and seeking candidates who love to challenge themselves, are motivated by autonomy and purpose, and get things done.
We are looking for a motor controls developer with a solid background in motor controls related topics, and ideally some automotive experience. In this position you will be part of a well-rounded, highly experienced team at an innovative, fast-paced automotive company in Southern California.
- Design, development, implementation, optimization, and testing of motor controls algorithms for electrical machines including interior permanent magnet machines (IPM), surface permanent magnet machines (SPM), and induction machines (IM)
- Specification and development of requirements related to the motor controller
- Documentation of algorithm development and testing results, and integration of the documentation within the relevant tools
- Provide feedback and assistance to other systems requiring motor controls support like machine prototype development, powertrain controls development, or traction inverter development
- Interact with vendors, suppliers, and customers as needed
- Master’s degree in electrical or mechanical engineering
- Proficient with modeling, simulation and validation using tools like Matlab/Simulink
- Basic knowledge of embedded C and capability of converting an algorithm in efficient C-code that is compliant with automotive (e.g., MISRA) and company standards
- Familiarity with common development stages and tools like model in the loop (MIL), software in the loop (SIL), hardware in the loop (HIL), and full system level testing (dyno, vehicle)
- Good understanding of traction inverter drives and electric motors including IPM, SPM, and IM
- In depth knowledge and hands on experience of field-oriented control for PM and/or IM. Experience with complex vector current control schemes is a plus
- Experience with pulse width modulation (PWM) schemes including sine PWM and space vector PWM. Experience with discontinuous modulation schemes, and overmodulation techniques up to full voltage utilization (six-step) is a plus
- Knowledge of digital observer and filter design and implementation
- 3 years of work experience or a PhD in related to motor controls, electric drives and/or electric machines
- Familiarity with practical considerations like dead-time compensation, delay compensations (PWM, ADC, etc), consideration of voltage limits, variation of the switching frequency
- Familiarity with position and speed measurement devices like resolvers and encoders.
- Familiarity with at least one or two MCUs relevant for motor controls
- Basic knowledge of communication interfaces like CAN, SPI, I2C
- Experience with debugging tools like CANape and CANalyzer
- Good trouble shooting skills and understanding at the system level (electrical propulsion system including gearing, powertrain controls and battery system)
- Experience with software tools like CCS or Eclipse and software management systems like GitHub and familiarity with software validation and release process
- Functional safety related qualifications (ISO26262) are a plus
What's Cool About Working Here...
- Four months paid primary care giver leave
- Flexible PTO
- Participation in the Employee Equity Compensation Plan
- Casual workplace with an unbelievable feeling of energy
- Work in a high-growth start up that will redefine urban mobility
Canoo is an equal opportunity-affirmative action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, past or present military service or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Any unsolicited resumes or candidate profiles submitted in response to our job posting shall be considered the property of Canoo Inc. and its subsidiaries and are not subject to payment of referral or placement fees if any such candidate is later hired by Canoo unless you have a signed written agreement in place with us which covers the applicable job posting.