If you're intrigued by the dream of working alongside the smartest & most revolutionary designers and engineers in the EV space, Canoo just may be the place for you. Are you a person who is irked by the status quo? Do you derive personal satisfaction from doing something you've never done before, and seeing that work actually put into production? Here at Canoo, every day is vastly different from the one before it, as we're moving swiftly toward our goal of changing the way the world looks at Urban Mobility. We’re a well-funded start-up, led by the who's who of EV business leaders, whose passion brought them together on this special mission. We're diligently preparing for our first vehicle launch and looking for deeply experienced and passionate talent, who are not just looking for a “job," but rather are driven to raise the bar and create new benchmarks within the global EV industry. Read on...
The smallest change can make the biggest difference – in this position you will be involved in all aspects of full vehicle aerodynamic development, from the earliest conceptual and creative investigations in CFD through to exceeding production targets in the wind tunnel and on the road. You will work together with many others across the Canoo community from the design team, studio engineers, thermal group, powertrain team, vehicle testing – all the usual suspects involved in making sure our collaborative outcomes are greater than the sum of their parts. You’ll be encouraged to try out your own ideas, bring science to the discussion, and experiment with cutting-edge techniques to drive a smarter, more efficient aero design process.
- Propose inventive and effective solutions to tricky challenges with teams across the board – often coming at problems from first principles or with ideas from disparate areas of fluid dynamics
- Develop detailed CAD from scratch or adapt CAD from others, to pre-process for CFD, 3d printing, and fabrication.
- Setup, mesh and run CFD simulations on local and cloud platforms, including job automation and scripting post-pro - apply non-traditional data analysis tools in post-processing
- Collaborate with other teams to provide insight, data, and feedback on various aspects of thermal performance, water management, aeroacoustics, structural response to pressure loads, and more.
- Take the initiative on planning and executing aspects of track, road testing, and wind tunnel programs – and pass on knowledge and skills to more junior team members.
- Over time become a trusted and respected voice in the company advocating for outcomes and resources that lead to increased vehicle efficiency.
- At least 3 years of applied experience with fluid dynamics R&D, and CFD in particular (OpenFoam + Paraview, and/or Powerflow, and/or STAR-CCM+ would be useful but serious work with any code/platform is vital)
- Degree in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering or related field preferred (demonstrated portfolio of work more important than degree level or exact discipline of degree)
- Professional or high-level academic research experience with physical aerodynamic and/or fluid dynamic testing – this position requires comfort in numerical and experimental domains.
- Prior experience in a sector of the automotive industry beneficial as long as you are not too steeped in big-OEM dogma
- Strong proficiency with CAD for surface and solid modeling (with CATIA would be a bonus), or at least currently immersed in getting there – Blender or Alias or similar mesh-mod experience also useful
- Practical familiarity with implementation of machine learning for data analysis is beneficial but not essential – comfortable with Python, Matlab, or similar coding tools.
What's Cool About Working Here...
- Four months paid primary care giver leave
- Flexible PTO
- Participation in the Employee Share Option Plan
- Beautiful new facility in Torrance
- Casual workplace with an unbelievable feeling of energy
- Work in a high-growth start up that will redefine urban mobility
- A world-class team. Most of our leaders have their own Wikipedia page
Canoo is an equal opportunity-affirmative action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, past or present military service or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.