Canoo has developed breakthrough electric vehicles that are reinventing the automotive landscape with bold innovations in design, pioneering technologies, and a unique business model that defies traditional ownership to put customers first. Distinguished by its experienced team – totaling over 500 employees from leading technology and automotive companies – Canoo has designed a modular electric platform purpose-built to deliver maximum vehicle interior space and adaptable to support a wide range of vehicle applications for consumers and businesses. With offices around the country, the company is scaling quickly and seeking candidates who love to challenge themselves, are motivated by autonomy and purpose, and get things done.
The Electric Motor Design Engineer will be responsible for component development and validation of cutting edge electric vehicle traction motors. Define key specifications for electric motor operation, including performance envelope (continuous and transient) and durability testing. Define sub-component and assembly DFMEA, DVP&R and testing specifications for both rotating and stationary components of the electric machine. Collaborate with a talented team of design, CAE, and system engineers to create a highly integrated drive unit assembly with electric traction motor, geartrain, cooling and power electronics.
- Perform design and optimization of induction and permanent magnet machines with a focus on creating highly power dense machines with a high efficiency
- Develop efficiency maps and inputs for use in the motor control system
- Support vehicle testing to correlate to bench/dyno testing
- Own DFMEA, DVP&R and test procedures for electric machine (rotating and stationary) components and completed assemblies
- Develop test plans and work with motor control and motor test engineers to validate motor performance predictions
- Select and collaborate directly with traction motor component suppliers for copper/iron/insulation system, setting requirements and quality standards
- Post process test results, identify root-cause of potential issues and make design recommendations to meet the highest level of durability, efficiency, and performance for Canoo vehicles
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in Electrical Engineering with focus on design of electric machines
- 10+ years of electric machine design experience
- First hand experience on development and validation of traction motor components and assemblies from prototype into production scenarios
- Strong understanding of electric machine mechanical and thermal physics
- Experience of Test-Simulation correlation in the component / sub-system / models
- Strong communication skills and experience with presenting results and recommendations to multidisciplinary teams
- Master’s Degree (or higher) in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or Equivalent
- Experience in traction motor design and manufacturing methods including induction and permanent magnet machines
- Skilled using electromagnetic finite element analysis codes (JMAG, Maxwell, Flux, etc.)
- Experience preparing test articles, collaborating with testing resources to complete DVP&R activities
- Experience with optimization methods
- Experience with CATIA V6/3D experience
- Electric motor simulation experience
- Experience with Matlab, Labview/Simulink
- Electromagnetic / Thermal / structural coupled simulation experience
- Team building and mentoring experience
What's Cool About Working Here...
- Four months paid primary care giver leave
- Flexible PTO
- Participation in the Employee Equity Compensation Plan
- Casual workplace with an unbelievable feeling of energy
- Work in a high-growth start up that will redefine urban mobility
Canoo is an equal opportunity-affirmative action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, past or present military service or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Any unsolicited resumes or candidate profiles submitted in response to our job posting shall be considered the property of Canoo Inc. and its subsidiaries and are not subject to payment of referral or placement fees if any such candidate is later hired by Canoo unless you have a signed written agreement in place with us which covers the applicable job posting.