Canoo has developed breakthrough electric vehicles that are reinventing the automotive landscape with bold innovations in design, pioneering technologies, and a unique business model that defies traditional ownership to put customers first. Distinguished by its experienced team – totaling over 500 employees from leading technology and automotive companies – Canoo has designed a modular electric platform purpose-built to deliver maximum vehicle interior space and adaptable to support a wide range of vehicle applications for consumers and businesses. With offices around the country, the company is scaling quickly and seeking candidates who love to challenge themselves, are motivated by autonomy and purpose, and get things done.
The Controls team at Canoo is responsible for all the controls related aspects in the Canoo vehicles, among them, the dynamics modeling, algorithm design, and controller implementation for switching power converters.
Canoo is seeking a power electronics controls engineer to join the team in developing high-performance controls for a wide spectrum of ac and dc products including chargers, grid-tied inverters, and resonant dc-dc converters. The engineer is expected to perform controls design through all stages starting with topology discussions, concept stage, modeling, C language implementation, and validation.
- Outline controller requirements based on system performance requirements Support definition of system performance requirements
- Develop controls strategy, and define the supporting algorithms
- Design, simulate, implement, debug, and maintain advanced digital controls algorithms, digital filters and embedded real-time software for power electronics systems
- Develop dynamic models of the system, and tune controller algorithms accordingly to optimize performance Translate algorithms into software implementation, and integrate the algorithms into the firmware framework via C programming Develop and utilize computer simulations (Matlab/Simulink, HiL, SiL) to investigate new algorithms, modifications, or corner-case events
- Develop documentation and test plans for software Investigate, debug and modify existing code Work with HW and FW engineers to test, debug and validate FW on bench Evaluate performance of power electronics performance in-vehicle. Own power electronics controls algorithm from concept to post production
- MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering
- In-depth understanding of AC-DC and DC-DC operation and digital control loops
- Strong analytical skills with solid device, circuit, and controls theory fundamentals
- In-depth experience creating models, simulations, and analysis tools to solve engineering problems using MATLAB, or PLECS, Mathcad or similar engineering tools
- Hands on experience with embedded firmware development for real-time controls systems
- Fluent in C/C++ language
- Proficient with micro-controller IDE design/development tools.
- Ability to follow circuit schematics and PCB layout drawings
- Experience in standard lab equipment such as power analyzer, oscilloscopes, frequency response analyzer to use for validating and debugging FW
- 3+ years of embedded programming design experience for switched mode power converters
- Experience with CANbus, SPI, I2C, RS-232, 802.11x, and TCP/IP protocol.
- Experience developing device drivers, control systems, and communications protocols
- Familiarity with safety and compliance standards for Automotive
- Good understanding of design for manufacturing, quality control, and FMEA
What's Cool About Working Here...
- Four months paid primary care giver leave
- Flexible PTO
- Participation in the Employee Equity Compensation Plan
- Casual workplace with an unbelievable feeling of energy
- Work in a high-growth start up that will redefine urban mobility
Canoo is an equal opportunity-affirmative action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, past or present military service or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Any unsolicited resumes or candidate profiles submitted in response to our job posting shall be considered the property of Canoo Inc. and its subsidiaries and are not subject to payment of referral or placement fees if any such candidate is later hired by Canoo unless you have a signed written agreement in place with us which covers the applicable job posting.