Canoo has developed breakthrough electric vehicles that are reinventing the automotive landscape with bold innovations in design, pioneering technologies, and a unique business model that defies traditional ownership to put customers first. Distinguished by its experienced team – totaling over 500 employees from leading technology and automotive companies – Canoo has designed a modular electric platform purpose-built to deliver maximum vehicle interior space and adaptable to support a wide range of vehicle applications for consumers and businesses. With offices around the country, the company is scaling quickly and seeking candidates who love to challenge themselves, are motivated by autonomy and purpose, and get things done.
We are seeking an exceptional Mechanical Engineer to work within the Vehicle Engineering Test Group, a critical arm of Vehicle Engineering organization. This role requires execution of Passive Safety Crash Test related activities both in-house and at external test sites. It also requires close partnership with internal service organizations and external suppliers to communicate test results, ensuring successful validation to Canoo’s standards and Regulatory Compliance requirements.
- Drive all safety testing according to agreed test plans and test procedures
- Lead detailed design reviews (Post-Test) & assist Design Engineering and CAE Teams in root-cause analysis
- Identify concerns and work with design engineers for corrective action of issues identified during Safety testing
- Create and ensure on-time completion of Safety Test Reports, Test Procedures, Test Plans and execution
- Develop and validate performance of components, systems and validation activities and communication results with respective engineer teams and suppliers
- Organize countermeasure validation testing to confirm corrective action resolution
- Lend input on new program reviews, and provide feedback on vehicle safety performance
- Guidance over Passive Safety Test budget, test rigs, test execution, and external test lab activity
- Lead the preparation and set up test fixtures, equipment and test samples
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability
- 5-10 years of automotive experience in Safety Testing
- Dynamic Safety tests, including sled testing and full vehicle crash testing
- Coordinating a team of engineers and technicians for Safety tests
- Extensive knowledge of all FMVSS, ECE, China, IIHS, USNCAP, and EuroNCAP Test regulations & protocols
- Fluent in analyzing data using available tools (HyperWorks, DiaDEM)
- Interpretation of injury assessment values and various Star ratings (US NCAP/Euro NCAP/China NCAP/Japan NCAP) as well as the IIHS and RCAR rating system
- Previous work with cross functional teams to drive product development and a demonstrated ability to influence direction of design based on safety test results
- Understanding of data acquisition systems (DTS/SoMat) for vehicle data collection
- Understanding of Instrumentation for crash, ATD setup and positioning, and High Speed Camera videography equipment
- Ability to travel (up to 20%)
- The ideal candidate will have prior experience leading Crash and Safety Testing at a component/system/vehicle level at a major OEM
What's Cool About Working Here...
- Four months paid primary care giver leave
- Flexible PTO
- Participation in the Employee Equity Compensation Plan
- Casual workplace with an unbelievable feeling of energy
- Work in a high-growth start up that will redefine urban mobility
Canoo is an equal opportunity-affirmative action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, past or present military service or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Any unsolicited resumes or candidate profiles submitted in response to our job posting shall be considered the property of Canoo Inc. and its subsidiaries and are not subject to payment of referral or placement fees if any such candidate is later hired by Canoo unless you have a signed written agreement in place with us which covers the applicable job posting.