If you're intrigued by the dream of working alongside the smartest & most revolutionary designers and engineers in the EV space, Canoo just may be the place for you. Are you a person who is irked by the status quo? Do you derive personal satisfaction from doing something you've never done before, and seeing that work actually put into production? Here at Canoo, every day is vastly different from the one before it, as we're moving swiftly toward our goal of changing the way the world looks at Urban Mobility. We’re a well-funded start-up, led by the who's who of EV business leaders, whose passion brought them together on this special mission. We're diligently preparing for our first vehicle launch and looking for deeply experienced and passionate talent, who are not just looking for a “job," but rather are driven to raise the bar and create new benchmarks within the global EV industry. Read on...
The Process & Sustainment Engineer is responsible for process compliance/improvements, resolution of daily and strategic production issues, removing barriers for operations and repair teams with strong engineering problem solving skills and implementation of improvement initiatives. The position interfaces with program managers, plant operators, process/project engineers, maintenance technicians and management personnel to coordinate technical activities in operating areas. Duties also include involvement in logistics operations and planning, materials management, subscription services, hazard reviews, incident investigations, waste minimization, productivity improvements, product quality, operator and maintainer training, and lean manufacturing. Reporting to In Charge of Logistics and Sustainment, this person will provide technical leadership to new product introduction, production process development, improvement and sustaining efforts for all vehicle/product lifecycle activities.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to both (1) address operational sustaining needs (i.e. resolve production issues related to safety yield, quality, and/or throughput) and (2) develop and transfer new processes/products to production and/or to enhance existing processes/products
- Lead and support teams in the transfer of manufacturing processes between manufacturing locations.
- Develop detailed material flow models for new and existing products to project material flow headcount, optimize dock door utilization, estimate warehouse and material buffer sizes, and identify opportunities for supply chain optimization
- Support the development of site-specific logistics/supply chain strategies, quantifying the benefits of each to drive the optimal modality and inventory balance
- Work closely with manufacturing engineering teams to develop a plan to deliver each part to the line as efficiently as possible.
- Own the strategy for delivering hundreds of parts to the manufacturing lines
- Develop innovative, cost-effective solutions with the packaging team for part presentation, packing density, and sustainability Process Improvement:
- Apply process improvement methodologies and tools (e.g. value stream mapping, problem solving, visual management, etc.) to reduce manufacturing build hours and quality issues; increase production rates; and remove waste from complex processes across multiple departments
- Train technicians, engineers, and leaders on best-in-class operations practices by leading process-improvement workshops; providing training and information briefs on key topics; and personally demonstrating "how" by implementing solutions in the area
- Oversee and participate in monitoring subscription vehicle and equipment repairs performed; implement new procedures and practices and monitor performance to assure procedures are followed; provide technical assistance to staff, as necessary
- Collaborate & coordinate customer support activities across Canoo to ensure a cohesive customer experience
- Oversee and manage assigned fleet management software system; review and track repairs, work orders, maintenance schedules, staff productivity and workload trends; set goals and objectives to improve overall shop performance and efficiency
- Review fleet records to determine replacement cycles and establish vehicle retirement schedules
- Able to plan and prioritize assigned tasks and activities with minimal guidance
- Execution of tasks independently and with guidance as necessary from project lead or manager
- Influences technical decisions in own area of responsibility
- Tracks component COGS and associated project expenses
- Bachelor's degree in industrial, mechanical, aerospace, or manufacturing engineering
- 15+ years of Industrial Engineering or Process Engineering Experience
- Previous experience with working with lithium ion batteries (automotive experience a plus)
- Proficient working with SQL, Excel, or similar data analysis software
- Experience with developing, optimizing, and analyzing assembly and test processes
- Experience leading people or projects
- Ability to influence without authority
- Strong project management skills
- Able to adapt to a fast-paced work environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills across departments and at all levels of leadership
- Experience driving cross-functional change within an organization
- Extensive knowledge of lean and experience applying lean principles
- Experience bringing teams and processes from a development phase to full production
- Experience monitoring, tracking, and continually improving total cost equation
- Extensive detailed material flow analysis experience to make data-driven decisions and summarize results for executives
- Deep understanding of material delivery methods (e.g. powered industrial equipment, automated guided vehicles, conveyor, rail-guided vehicles) and strategies (e.g. forklift-free)
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to drive projects with diverse teams in a high-volume manufacturing environment
- Experience quantitatively solving ambiguous factory design problems at a systems level
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Experience designing greenfield facility layouts and/or material flow strategy
- Experience with CATIA, Solid works, AutoCAD, Sketchup
- Experience with discrete event simulation software
- Willing to travel extensively (50%+)
- Available for all shifts and extended hours. Work schedule may vary depending on business needs, and flexibility is required
- Proven ability to manage, launch, and achieve standardization practices using process improvement tools.
- Must be a self-starter with proven ability to give and gain the respect of all employees
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office software (i.e., Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
What's Cool About Working Here...
- Four months paid primary care giver leave
- Flexible PTO
- Participation in the Employee Equity Compensation Plan
- Beautiful new facility in Torrance
- Casual workplace with an unbelievable feeling of energy
- Work in a high-growth start up that will redefine urban mobility
Canoo is an equal opportunity-affirmative action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, past or present military service or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.