If you're intrigued by the dream of working alongside the smartest & most revolutionary designers and engineers in the EV space, Canoo just may be the place for you. Are you a person who is irked by the status quo? Do you derive personal satisfaction from doing something you've never done before, and seeing that work actually put into production? Here at Canoo, every day is vastly different from the one before it, as we're moving swiftly toward our goal of changing the way the world looks at Urban Mobility. We’re a well-funded start-up, led by the who's who of EV business leaders, whose passion brought them together on this special mission. We're diligently preparing for our first vehicle launch and looking for deeply experienced and passionate talent, who are not just looking for a “job," but rather are driven to raise the bar and create new benchmarks within the global EV industry. Read on...
The Sr. Manager for Component & Systems Test is responsible for the development and execution of all tests for design validation in the areas of Powertrain, HV Battery, LV Systems, Chassis/Skateboard, Cabin, Interior, Exterior, and each of their respective components. This is a foundational role in our test organization intended to build up and exponentially grow a world-class engineering team.
- Participate in recruiting activities for exponential department growth and mature existing engineering team members and provide guidance to new in-coming staff members
- Manage direct reports of Component & Systems Test Engineers and balance workflows of test activities in-house & tests performed out-of-house by 3rd party laboratories
- Manage incoming test requests and set priorities based on the capacity of internal resources and external 3rd party test supplier schedules
- Lead the creation of Component & System Level Test Procedures and create Judgment Criteria to assess test results to validate Design Requirements are met
- Manage the creation of DVP&R’s for each component & subsystem to validate reliability requirements
- Oversee the creation of detailed Test Plans and work with internal and external test labs and test suppliers to organize and execute testing
- Support execution of internal laboratory or offsite testing as required
- Communicate, coordinate, and consult with design responsible engineer (DRE) team members for their respective hardware on test
- Document Issues discovered on test, assess whether a design countermeasure is required, and report out weekly in Design Engineering Status meetings.
- Manage the output of all open Concerns discovered on test with the responsible Design Engineers until a design countermeasure is achieved and plan for validation by retest, CAE simulation, or other means in order to close out open concerns
- Manage critical path timing of multiple tests to ensure completion on time and within budget
- Provide guidance to Test Facilities team members on additional internal test capabilities needed
- Provide input and guidance on Component Technical Specification (CTS) and System Technical Specifications (STS)
- Create and automate KPI’s in order to report out weekly real-time test progress and identify areas of risk or lack of progress in our Component & System Testing activities
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Engineering Technology, Advanced degree (MS preferred)
- Minimum of 20 years of test engineering experience
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 20% of the time
- Experience growing test teams rapidly growing capacity to support a higher test volume
- Experience developing in-house test capabilities to support quicker testing turnaround times
- Experienced with a wide array of validation methodologies and processes
- Extensive knowledge of Powertrain, HV Battery, LV Systems, Chassis/Skateboard, Cabin, Interior, Exterior, and each of their respective components
- Knowledge of Battery Electric Vehicle architecture with a detailed understanding of Powertrain, HV Battery, Chassis, Body, and LV systems and an understanding of vehicle firmware
- Familiarity with three-phase electric motor controls and high voltage motor controller devices
- Hands-on experience with dynamometer test systems, high voltage power supplies, and thermal chambers
- Experience with power converter electronics such as inverter, DC-DC converter, and onboard charger for use in electric vehicles
- Experienced in troubleshooting and root cause analysis
- Experienced with computer operated test setups, systems, equipment, and drivers
- Strong professional and technical competence in vehicle testing and validation methods
- Broad knowledge of creating and executing DVP&R’s
- Experience working at various test labs and facilities with broad test industry contacts
- Hands-on ability to operate a variety of hand and power tools in servicing automobiles
- Proven ability to identify and solve complex engineering problems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, displays a high level of maturity, ability to work as a member of a small but nimble team, ability to work in a self-directed manner, and adjust to constant directional changes typical of a fast-paced start-up environment
What's Cool About Working Here...
- Four months paid primary caregiver leave
- Flexible PTO
- Participation in the Employee Equity Compensation Plan
- Casual workplace with an unbelievable feeling of energy
- Work in a high-growth start up that will redefine urban mobility
Canoo is an equal opportunity-affirmative action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, past or present military service or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Any unsolicited resumes or candidate profiles submitted in response to our job posting shall be considered the property of Canoo Inc. and its subsidiaries and are not subject to payment of referral or placement fees if any such candidate is later hired by Canoo unless you have a signed written agreement in place with us which covers the applicable job posting.